Friday, July 22, 2011

Running: hot and early

     Waking up early was not bad.  I have a weird internal clock, if I know I am suppose to wake up at a certain time I generally wake up then unless I am exhausted.  However when I feel stressed about waking up early I will generally wake up several times in the night to check the time and go back to sleep.  That said I woke up for 6 today with no problem.  Downed a few clif shot bloks an water (not too much) and got dressed and sunblocked-up.  Then I waited, and waited, and waited because my bladder apparently cannot make up its mind as to whether or not it is empty.  Finally upon setting out I realized that it was already pretty hot.  When I left at 8 am it was about 87F and at some point I checked while running and it was in the 90's with the heat index saying it "felt like" 101F.  I stopped looking at the temperatures at that point.  Today's session was week 5 session 1: run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute, repeat 10 times.  I did it, but I had to rest longer than 1 minutes a few times.  It was just too freaking hot to push it, and at one point I was just trying to find a water bubbler that actually worked and that took a few minutes.  One repetition from the end I had to just stop and sit, I might have just been standing I really can not remember.  I did not stop very long, but a passing walker stopped to ask me if I was okay.  I am quite pale so when I get flushed my face goes crazy red, I imagine that I looked like I was about to pass out.  I was not going to pass out, but simply trying to avoid getting to that point.  I then realized I only had one rep left and then just went for it to get it over with.  Afterwards I happened upon a picnic table conveniently located in the shade, it even had a breeze! (Being that I do not remember it from previous runs I am 1/2 convinced that it was a magical picnic table and it will be gone come my next run)  I just plopped down and sat for a while.  I know under normal circumstances your not supposed to just stop after running, but I figured that 100F weather warranted a nice sit down.   After a few minutes rest I continued on to the water bubbler that I know actually works, filled up my bottle and went on my merry way home.  On the way home I tryed pouring water over my head because of the heat, I have heard that helps, but I poured a bit too much and it ran sunblock into my eyes.  Very ouch!
     The over all run I feel went well, I kept up a regular pace and my form was pretty good.  My only difficulties were related to the heat and that could not be helped.  I definately ended up a bit dehydrated, but I was able to remedy that fairly quickly.  This being my first real morning run I now understand the need for sunglasses, and I will have to find some nice wrap arounds.  I am looking forward to the next session, which I have not been for a while now.  I have wanted to do them, but I was not excited about the sessions.  I feel that had more to do with outside forces rather than running performance, but it is nice to look forward to running again.
Just keep running!

No comments:

Post a Comment